West Riverfront Park
Located at: 1801 W. Jefferson Detroit, MI 48216
The Conservancy’s ultimate vision is to develop five-and-a-half miles of riverfront from the Ambassador Bridge on the west to Gabriel Richard Park, which is just east of the MacArthur (Belle Isle) Bridge.
The first phase of the project, three-and-a-half miles along the east riverfront, is more than 80 percent complete and spans from Joe Louis Arena to Gabriel Richard Park.
Opening up a segment of the west riverfront for long-awaited public access is now a reality with the transformation of a former newspaper printing facility property at 1801 W. Jefferson into a 20-acre green oasis, which is now named the West Riverfront Park.
The Conservancy purchased the property from the Detroit Free Press in 2007.
Visitors will find three new pathways linking the riverfront to West Jefferson Avenue, benches, trash receptacles and plenty of lush green space for a variety of outdoor activities. The Conservancy has expanded the width of the popular RiverWalk along this parcel to 30 feet to better accommodate adequate space for walking, running, biking and fishing. Safety and security improvements include new railings, lighting, security cameras and call boxes.
The Conservancy continues to work with key stakeholders, including the City of Detroit and private property owners, towards a strategic plan for revitalizing the west riverfront.
Stay tuned for more progress on the west riverfront project in the future.